Nominations are now being accepted for two American Nuclear Society awards established to recognize the important contributions of young members and the ANS Young Members Group (YMG) to ANS as a whole. Nominations for the Young Members Advancement Award and the Young Members Excellence Award are due by July 1, 2011. Each award is presented annually at the ANS Winter Conference.
The Young Members Advancement Award is granted to an individual or a group who has
- increased membership or participation of young members
- created leadership or experience opportunities for young members
- trained or mentored young members
- raised funding for young members
- publicly supported the cause of young members, or
- taken other actions to get young members involved with ANS on a national level
Special consideration is given to those whose actions have far-reaching effects, such as positively influencing large numbers of young members or setting a public example for young member outreach. Past honorees may be found here.
Young Members Advancement Award recipients are selected by the YMG Honors and Awards Committee. Nominees need not be ANS members, ANS-based organizations, or YMG members, but must be living at the time of selection. Further information, including nomination materials and instructions, is available on the ANS website.
Established by the YMG in 2007, the Young Members Excellence Award recognizes a young member who has demonstrated overall excellence in a variety of areas. It is presented annually to an individual who
- is a member of the ANS Young Members Group
- is involved with ANS at the national level
- actively advances the goals of the ANS Young Members Group
- displays outstanding non-technical skills as well as technical or managerial ability
- is recognized by others in their field
- demonstrates high quality and safety standards, and
- positively represents nuclear science and technology to the general population
Emphasis is placed on well-rounded candidates who demonstrate a history of continuing excellence. The candidate must be under the age of 36 or within five years of graduation at the time of nomination (i.e., fulfilling the ANS definition of “young member”). Past honorees may be found here.
Young Members Excellence Award recipients are selected by the YMG Honors and Awards Committee. Nominees must be members of ANS and YMG. Further information, including nomination materials and instructions, is available on the ANS website.