Realizing new technologies for the age of fusion energy
The Twentieth American Nuclear Society Topical Meeting on the Technology of Fusion Energy represented a chance for key scientists and engineers from around the world to gather and exchange ideas. The meeting, TOFE 2012, was attended by 185 scientists and engineers from 11 different nations, and included 96 oral presentations and 65 posters.
The August 2013 issue of Fusion Science and Technology is the first of two special issues on TOFE 2012 and contains 48 of the 94 accepted papers presented at the meeting.
The issue is available electronically and in hard copy for American Nuclear Society member subscribers. ANS journals are also available for purchase by edition or by article.
Fusion Science and Technology is edited by Dr. Nermin Uckan.
Table of contents
- Preface: Twentieth Topical Meeting on the Technology of Fusion Energy Arnold Lumsdaine
- Challenges in Developing Materials for Fusion Technology – Past, Present and Future Steven J. Zinkle
- Pulsed DEMO Design Assessment Studies T. N. Todd
- Present Status and Achievements of Broader Approach Activities Yoshikazu Okumura
- Fusion: Promise, Progress, and Problems John Sheffield
- Configuration Management of ITER Ingo Kuehn
- Progress in the Safety and Licensing of ITER Neill Taylor, Carlos Alejaldre, Pierre Cortes
- Port-Based Plasma Diagnostic Infrastructure on ITER C. S. Pitcher et al.
- Status of Design and R&D for ITER Blanket in Korea Duck-Hoi Kim et al.
- Cryogenic Conduction Cooling Test of Removable Panel Mock-Up for ITER Cryostat Thermal Shield K. Nam et al.
- Design and Analysis of the ITER Vertical Stability (VS) Coils Peter H. Titus, Michael Kalish, Christopher M. Hause, Philip Heitzenroeder, Jushin Hsiao, Robert Pillsbury, Edward Daly
- Transient Electromagnetic Analysis of Blanket Module 1 of the ITER Blanket System due to Plasma Disruption J. D. Kotulski, R. S. Coats, M. Ulrickson
- Availability Requirement for ITER Plasma Parameter Measurements K. Okayama, D. van Houtte, F. Sagot, M. Walsh
- ITER Diagnostic First Wall G. D. Loesser, C. S. Pitcher, R. Feder, D. Johnson, S. Pak, M. Walsh, Y. Zhai
- ITER CS Conductor Helium Inlet Design Optimization and Evaluation R. Leonard Myatt, Nicolai N. Martovetsky, Charlotte Barbier, Kevin D. Freudenberg
- Update on Design of the ITER In-Vessel Coils E. F. Daly et al.
- Krypton Fluoride (KrF) Laser Driver for Inertial Fusion Energy Matthew F. Wolford, John D. Sethian, Matthew C. Myers, Frank Hegeler, John L. Giuliani, Stephen P. Obenschain
- LIFE Tritium Processing: A Sustainable Solution for Closing the Fusion Fuel Cycle S. Reyes et al.
- Developments in Direct Drive Laser Fusion J. L. Weaver et al.
- Development and Qualification of Tungsten and Tungsten Alloys for Fusion D. T. Blagoeva, J. Opschoor, G. Pintsuk, C. Sarbu
- The Effect of MOD Process Parameters on Performance of Er2O3 Coating for Liquid Blanket Application T. Muroga, D. Zhang, T. Tanaka
- Effects of 30 keV Helium Irradiation on (110) Single Crystal Tungsten L. M. Garrison, G. L. Kulcinski
- Effect of Al2O3 Coating as a Corrosion Barrier of Ferritic-Martensitic Steel in Pb-Li Melt Yang-Il Jung, Jeong-Yong Park, Byoung-Kwon Choi, Jae Sung Yoon, Dong Won Lee, Seungyon Cho
- Preliminary Results of W Fiber Reinforced W (Wf/W) Composites Fabricated with Powder Metallurgy S. X. Zhao, F. Liu, S. G. Qin, J. P. Song, G.-N. Luo
- Modeling of Long Term Effects on Plasma Facing Components for a Fusion Power Reactor V. Cocilovo, G. Ramogida, E. Visca
- The Development of Plasma-Material Interaction Facilities for the Future of Fusion Technology J. Rapp et al.
- Plasma Facing Materials Lifetime in Steady-State DEMO Operation Yu. Igitkhanov, B. Bazylev, I. Landman
- Thermal Analysis to Calculate the Vessel Temperature and Stress in Alcator C-Mod due to the Divertor Upgrade Han Zhang, Peter H. Titus, Robert Ellis, Soren Harrison, Rui Vieira
- Disruption Analysis and Response Implication of Passive Plates for the NSTX Upgrade Yuhu Zhai, Peter Titus, Art Brooks, Ronald Hatcher
- Actively Water-Cooled Plasma Facing Components of the Wendelstein 7-X Stellarator J. Boscary et al.
- Plasma Facing Component Design Through Multiphysics Simulation Dennis L. Youchison, Michael A. Ulrickson
- Design and R&D for the C-Mod Outer Divertor Upgrade Soren Harrison et al.
- Verification of Thermal Performance Predictions of Prototypical Multi-Jet Impingement Helium-Cooled Divertor Module J. D. Rader, B. H. Mills, D. L. Sadowski, M. Yoda, S. I. Abdel-Khalik
- Commissioning of the Korean High Heat Flux Test Facility by Using Electron Beam System for Plasma Facing Components Suk-Kwon Kim, Eo Hwak Lee, Jae-Sung Yoon, Dong Won Lee, Duck-Hoi Kim, Seungyon Cho
- Heat Transfer Simulation of A-Frame Assembly to Support Alcator C-Mod Outer Divertor Upgrade Lihua Zhou, Rui Vieira, Soren Harrison, Dan Karnes, Bruce Lipschultz
- Use of Polycarbonate Vacuum Vessels in High-Temperature Fusion-Plasma Research B. Berlinger, A. Brooks, H. Feder, J. Gumbas, T. Franckowiak, S. A. Cohen
- Analysis of Tritium/Deuterium Retention and Permeation in FW/Divertor Including Geometric and Temperature Operating Features Alice Ying, Haibo Liu, Mohamed Abdou
- Structural Analysis for EHF Hypervapotron Twin Fingers and Beryllium Tile Size Study Alice Ying, Hongjie Zhang, Joseph Mauricio Garde, Mike Ulrickson
- Optimization of Pin-Fin Arrays for Helium-Cooled Finger-Type Divertor J. D. Rader, B. H. Mills, D. L. Sadowski, M. Yoda, S. I. Abdel-Khalik
- ANSYS Model to Predict Magnetic Fields and Loads in Alcator C-Mod’s New Outer Divertor During a Disruption Jeffrey Doody, Robert Granetz, Bruce Lipschultz, Han Zhang, Peter Titus, Rui Vieira
- Divertor Cooling with Sub-Channels-Inserted Metal Porous Media Kazuhisa Yuki, Hidetoshi Hashizume, Saburo Toda, Akio Sagara
- Overview of Tritium Activities at AECL – Past and Present L. Rodrigo, H. Boniface, S. Suppiah
- MELCOR Accident Analysis for ARIES-ACT Paul W. Humrickhouse, Brad J. Merrill
- Plasma- and Gas-Driven Hydrogen Isotope Permeation Through the First Wall of a Magnetic Fusion Power Reactor Yoshi Hirooka, Haishan Zhou, Naoko Ashikawa, Takeo Muroga, Akio Sagara
- Reliability Estimation for Double Containment Piping L. Cadwallader, T. Pinna
- Design and Performance Verification of KSTAR Cooling Water System Young-Jin Kim, Sang-Tae Kim, Dong-Seok Im, Nam-Yong Jung, Yaung-Su Kim, Seong-Yeon Yoo
- Non-Electric Applications of the Inertial Electrostatic Confinement Fusion Concept Gerald L. Kulcinski, John F. Santarius
- Recent Advances in IEC Physics and Technology at the University of Wisconsin G. L. Kulcinski et al.
- A Feasibility Study of an Application of Fusion Neutron Beam Source Based on Cylindrical Discharge Device for Cancer Therapy Yasunori Nakai, Kazuyuki Noborio, Yuto Takeuchi, Ryuta Kasada, Yasushi Yamamoto, Satoshi Konishi